1. Do you have a certain place at home for reading?
While I can (and do) read all over the place, I mostly read in the bathtub lol. Pruned toes be damned, I’d stay in there forever if I could.
2. Bookmark or random piece of paper?
Anything and everything is a potential bookmark, excluding living creatures, gross things, wet things, or sticky things. All else is fair game. Weirdest thing I’ve ever used as a bookmark? A fake mustache.
3. Can you just stop reading or do you have to stop after a chapter/ a certain amount of pages?
I can just stop reading unless:
- The book is amazing. Torture is having to go to work when a book is lit.
- I’m in midsentence / mid paragraph. I’m not a savage. Only monsters stop midsentence.
- I’m up to the last quarter of a book. I just have to finish. I need closure.
4. Do you eat or drink while reading?
Yes. Everything. Coffee or pastries are never safe. However, I am a professional and I never get my books dirty.
5. Multitasking: Music or TV while reading?
I like to read when it is quiet, so I never put on music or the TV for myself when I am reading. I can ignore it though if the husband has it on. Nothing stops me from reading.
6. One book at a time or several at once?
I am the moodiest reader in existence. I will feel like reading one book one day, and then want something entirely different the next. I usually read at least 3-4 books at a time, and it is usually a mix of graphic novels and book-books.
7. Reading at home or everywhere?
I mostly read at home, but if I’m at lunch? Reading. Waiting for someone? Reading. Spare five minutes to kill? Reading!
8. Reading out loud or silently in your head?
This really depends on the book. I’m a Youth Services Librarian, so a big part of my job is reading during storytimes. I like to do it and I am super silly. When I share books with coworkers or kids, I will easily fall into storytime mode and read aloud. If it is just a book I am reading for myself, I read it silently, unless there is a line that I blur out in surprise or bewilderment (sometimes they just hit you). If I am reading academic journals and I want to retain the information, or if it is really dense I find that reading it out loud helps my comprehension.
9. Do you read ahead or even skip pages?
I never skip pages, but if I am not clicking with a book I will skim to see if it gets better. Sometimes I read the first and last line to entice myself when buying books. I never skip pages though, because I am always afraid I will miss something.
10. Breaking the spine or keeping it like new?
I use the Boy Scout method for reading: leave no trace. I want my books to look like they were never read. I feel like if I dog-ear a page or break a spine the librarian police will swoop down on me faster than you can stay “Dewey”.
11. Do you write in your books?
No, but I do highlight (neatly) my textbooks and I use tabs like a mofo.
12. Who do you tag?
I choose you as tribute. Leave your link in the comments and I will check yours out too! 🙂