Don’t Get Caught by Kurt Dinan
Published by: Sourcebooks Fire on April 1, 2016
Review Source: Publisher, Edelweiss
Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary Fiction
Plot: Max wants to exit high school not as a lame ass underachiever. He want be Not-Max: a heist-pulling destroyer of the Chaos Club who gets the glory and the girl. However, this is high school, and in the infamous words of The Rolling Stones: You can’t always get what you want…
Review: Kurt Dinan has done so much right with this book! Let me give you my top five reasons why I loved it:
- Loveable characters: Max, his crew, and even Stranko (a.k.a dirt bag vice principle everyone hates) all felt extremely authentic and likable.
- Heist Rules: Max loves heist movies and it shows. At one point in the book he will lay down the gospel on Ocean’s Eleven on you, and you will love it.
- Epic one liners galore: Dinan has some serious zing as a writer. I literally laughed out loud multiple times during this read and would totally hang out with this guy.
- The Pranks: I’m not one of those people who look back on high school as the highlight of my life. I was awkward and full of angst. I am slightly jealous that my school didn’t have a prank legacy.
- The cows. You’ll know them when you see them.
If these don’t get you interested, let me also add that aside from the John Hughes style humor, Don’t Get Caught also has enough twists and turns to keep you guessing till the end. Since it’s a pretty easy read with a quick pace, many people will happy snap this one up.
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Who Should Snag It: If you are looking for a lighthearted high school drama or the classic heist, scoop this one up.
*I would like to thank Edelweiss and the publisher for providing me with a free ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review*